Hello friend! I hope you’ve been having a beautiful week. I’m not feeling as verbose as normal so today’s post is going to be short and sweet and full of deliciousness. I’ve been pretty busy lately and have had a desire for some comfort in the form of cookies, but I find most recipes are a bit too high in sweetener or starches for my sensitive little blood sugar. Enter the magical cookie jam packed with chewy goodness, healthy fats, and tons of beneficial fibre thanks to our secret ingredient, avocado!
Avocados are rich in carotenoids, a family of phytonutrients that help promote healthy skin and function as powerful antioxidants in the body. One of the major players is beta carotene, which gets converted to vitamin A more readily in the presence of the magnificent avocado. Vitamin A is crucial for healthy skin, nails, and immune function.
This humble fruit also contains oleic acid, which is most commonly found in olive oil and is related to increased heart health. One study demonstrated that adding one avocado a day to your diet improved blood lipid (fat) profiles, an important predictor of heart disease.
One cup of this bad boy also contains about 10 grams of fibre, which makes it excellent for balancing blood sugar by slowing the rate at which food empties from your stomach.It also gives your probiotic bacteria something to nibble on and keeps you happy and regular 😉
Finally, avocados can be great for blood pressure and fluid balance in the body thanks to their high levels of potassium.
In addition to all these stellar benefits from the avocado, you can also feel good indulging because these cookies are grain free and can be made deliciously vegan if you’re rolling the plant-based lifestyle. So bake on friend, I’ve got you covered!
Chewy Double Chocolate Fudge Cookie Recipe
- 1 large avocado, pureed
- 2 tbsp. coconut oil or butter, melted
- ¾ cup maple syrup
- 2 tsp. vanilla
- 1 chia egg or regular egg
- ¼ cup coconut flour
- ½ cup tapioca starch
- ½ cup raw cacao
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- ¼ tsp. sea salt
- ¼ cup chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350F and line a large baking sheet with parchment paper or coconut oil.
- In a large mixing bowl whip together wet ingredients until fully combined. I used a small food processor and found it worked perfectly!
- In a separate bowl whisk together all dry ingredients except chocolate chips.
- Pour dry ingredients into wet ingredients and use a spatula to mix thoroughly until no chunks are visible. Stir in chocolate chips
- Using a large spoon drop dollops of dough onto pan and pat into small rounds.
- Bake for 7 minutes, then rotate and bake another 7-10 minutes until edges are firm and middle is still slightly soft to the touch.
- Let cool on a wire rack and enjoy!
Well friend that’s our delightfully decadent, chewy, gooey recipe for this week. If you need any support on your healing journey, make sure you join my private Facebook group the Fully Nourished Community. We share inspiration, recipes, articles, stories, successes, and struggles in a safe and supportive environment, so come on over and join the fun! Join us by clicking here.
Have a beautiful day friend!