Hi friend! I hope you had a wonderful weekend. Today I’m going to share a riff off the Maple Jalapeño Sauerkraut recipe I posted a few weeks back, only this time you’ll be using red onions for an extra kick of awesome. I’ve made this recipe with both red and green cabbage and it turns out delicious either way, so feel free to get creative. Adding fermented foods to your meals is a super cheap and effective way to incorporate probiotics into your diet.
These helpful bacteria are the key to ensuring proper digestions and absorption of nutrients, which means less gas and bloating and more gorgeous glowing skin. They also play a key role in maintaining the integrity of your digestive tract so you can avoid leaky gut and maintain a super-powered immune system.
Some other great sources of dietary probiotics include kombucha, kefir, fermented sauces, yogurts, or lacto-fermented veggies. Try adding a small serving to at least one meal a day to reap the many benefits!
Super Simple Red Onion Sauerkraut Recipe
- 1 medium head of cabbage
- 2 tbsp. sea salt
- 1 small or ½ large red onion, thinly sliced
- Finely shred or chop cabbage, retaining one leaf from the outside.
- Add to a large metal mixing bowl.
- Sprinkle with sea salt.
- Lightly toss to coat cabbage, giving the occasional squeeze.
- Let sit 15 to 20 minutes or until water leaches out of cabbage.
- Firmly massage cabbage for 3 minutes, squeezing out water until you have a good amount of liquid in the bowl.
- Add onions and continue to massage until softened, about 1 minute.
- Pour into a 1 litre mason jar and use the leaf you saved to push the kraut below the brine so that it stays submerged.
- Place a piece of parchment paper between the jar and lid.
- Seal and let ferment for 3-28 days.
Well that’s all for today friends!
If you’re looking for more ways to get your fermentation feet wet, check out my FREE e-book Eat Your Way to a Happy Belly with Fantastic Fermentables. It’s packed with information on the benefits of probiotic foods and 15 easy peasy, vegan & paleo friendly recipes. Click here to download it now! Enjoy!
Have a wonderfully whimsical week!