Hi friend! I hope you had a fabulous weekend and are settling into the work week. There’s a holiday long weekend coming up, which means snacks and family and fun. I know that it can be super hard to stay on track when you’re surrounded by snacks and goodies.
The best way to stick to your healthy eating choices if you’re not planning or intending on indulging (which can be part of a balanced life!) is to make tasty treats that are healthier than their store-bought or traditional counterparts. In addition to today’s recipe for Jalapeño Cheddar Kale Chips you could whip up some of the following:
Salads and Dressings
Jazz up any basic salad with one of these health-promoting dressings! Low in sugar and free from those icky inflammatory oils, they add a ton of flavour without any junk.
Miscellaneous Savoury Treats
Garlic and Green Onion Cauliflower Fritters (take these bad boys to get togethers to eat in place of the blood sugar and gut disrupting white rolls)
Well those are some of my tried and true recipes that are so delicious you’ll be converting family and friends left, right, and centre! Now let’s check out today’s recipe.
You’ll be using an ingredient that’s relatively new to me, nutritional yeast, to give your chippies their cheesy flavour. This yeast contains a broad spectrum of B-vitamins that help boost metabolism and manage stress.
Some brands are fortified with B12, which can be helpful if you’re someone who doesn’t include meat or animal products in your diet. It is technically a complete protein and contains some important trace minerals, which makes this yeast a great addition to any pantry.
Best Vegan Jalapeno Cheddar Kale Chips Recipe
- ¼ cup +1 tbsp. cashew butter or soaked cashews, water drained
- 2 Tbsp. apple cider vinegar
- 1 Tbsp. olive or avocado oil
- 2 cloves of garlic
- ½ red onion
- 1 jalapeno
- 3 tbsp. nutritional yeast
- 1 tsp. turmeric
- 1 tsp. sea salt
- 1 bunch of kale
- Set oven as low as possible. Mine goes down to 170F and I’ve found this to be a good temperature to work with. If your oven doesn’t go below 200, try keeping it open a crack so it doesn’t get too hot. Alternatively, you can place them in a food dehydrator. I’ve found this method produces the best, crispiest, most flavourful chips. I use a cheap one from Walmart, and it’s worked like a charm!
- Add cashew butter, 1 Tbsp. olive oil, and apple cider vinegar to a small food processor.
- Rough chop garlic, onions, and jalapeno and add to food processor.
- Add nutritional yeast, turmeric, and sea salt.
- Blend until mostly smooth. Don’t worry if there are a few chunks. They just add more texture to the chip.
- In a large bowl tear kale into slightly larger than bite-sized pieces, taking care to remove the stems. They can become rather hard once cooked so it’s best to remove them altogether. I usually just grab the base of the kale stalk in one hand then run my hand up the stalk in one smooth motion. It removes most of the kale and then you just have to rip into small pieces. Quick and easy!
- Pour the mixture over the kale and massage into the leaves by hand.
- Line baking sheets with parchment paper. If using a dehydrator ignore this step.
- Spread the chips in a single layer over two baking sheets.
- Sprinkle with salt.
- Place in oven or dehydrator until crispy. This can take a couple of hours due to the low temperature. If using an oven, after an hour flip the chips to get an even crunch.
- Let cool before storing in an airtight container.
Well that’s my recipe for today friend. If you want to make sure you never miss another recipe you can sign up for my mailing list and receive an awesome FREE gift by clicking here! Have a wonderfully whimsical week.