Hi friend! I hope you had a fabulous weekend. I was blessed with another amazing Kelowna weekend full of farmer’s markets and a delicious brunch with friends.
Now, lets get down to the business of making scrumptious food. That’s been a sweet bonus of moving to the Okanagan during harvest season: the plethora of amazing produce has kicked my creativity and productivity in the kitchen up to an 11. I’ve been making up new recipes almost daily!
Today’s soup takes advantage of the deliciously fragrant peaches and spicy jalapeños I found at the market last weekend. I was never much for peaches until I moved here and now I can’t seem to get enough of them! One study showed that peaches contain antioxidants, the four most important being anthocyanins, chlorogenic acids, quercetins and catechins, that work together to provide anti-inflammatory and anti-obesity properties. That means a peach a day can help keep the spare tire away!
Jalapeños contain a compound called capsaicin, which also has potent anti-inflammatory benefits because it inhibits a neuropeptide (a small protein molecule that our neurons use to communicate with one another), substance P, that is associated with the inflammatory process. And since cold and flu season is coming up, it’s good to know that capsaicin also helps clear up your stuffy nose.
I’ve also made my soup with a delicious bone broth as the base for an extra kick of immune boosting awesome. You can check out how to make your own here.
Paleo Roasted Peach & Pepper Soup Recipe
- 5 unripe peaches, cut into slices
- 1 jalapeño
- 1 hot yellow pepper (optional)
- 1 tbsp. + 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 red or yellow onion, diced
- 4 cloves of garlic, chopped
- 1 carrot, chopped
- 3 celery stalks, roughly chopped
- 6 cups of chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 tbsp. maple syrup or honey
- splash of balsamic vinegar
- Sea salt to taste
- Preheat oven to 375F
- Coat sliced peaches, jalapeño, and yellow pepper with olive oil and place on a baking sheet.
- Sprinkle with sea salt.
- Roast until golden, approx. 30 minutes. You can take this time to chop the rest of your veggies.
- Remove from oven and let sit. When cooled peel skin from peppers and roughly chop, including the seeds.
- Place a large saucepan over medium heat.
- Add diced onion and garlic to pot with remaining tbsp. of olive oil. Let cook for 2-3 minutes until translucent and fragrant.
- Add carrots and celery and allow to cook for 3 minutes.
- Add jalapeño, yellow pepper, and peaches to saucepan.
- Add broth and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and let simmer 20 minutes.
- Remove from heat and puree.
- For an extra smooth texture pass through a chinois or thin sieve to remove seeds.
Well that’s all for today friend. Stay tuned for the rest of my peach inspired recipes such as: Cheeky Peachy Banana Bread and Fermented Peach and Jalapeño Sauce. Have a wonderfully whimsical week!