Hello friend! Welcome back to my blog! I had a bit of a writing hiatus over the summer, but I’m back and ready to share lots of deliciousness and inspiration with you. Since moving back to the East Coast life has been a little bit unsettled, but I have finally found a sweet little place to call my own and am so excited to start creating some tasty fall recipes for you.
Since I’ve been waking up to a little nip in the air, I thought I would start by sharing a super warming soup recipe that’s been a big hit at my cooking classes: Grounding Vegan Lemon Lentil & Wild Rice Soup!
This soup is packed with tasty spices like cumin, coriander seed, and a little cayenne to warm you up as well as lots of garlic and onions to boost that immune system for the fall season! The lemons are my favourite part and add a nice refreshing tang to what could otherwise be a little bit of a heavier feeling recipe.
I’ve added lots of lentils and a wild rice blend so that this soup can function as a whole meal with lots of protein to keep you full and your blood sugar stable. Feel free to play around with some different spice blends to change it up. A mild curry blend would be a yummy alternative!
Well, without further ado: the recipe!
Grounding Vegan Lemon Lentil & Wild Rice Soup Recipe
- ½ cup wild rice blend
- 1 tbsp. olive oil, coconut oil, or ghee
- 1 can tomato paste
- ¼ tsp. cayenne
- 1 tsp. cumin
- 1 tsp. ground coriander seed
- 1 large onion, diced
- 6 cloves garlic, chopped
- 3 carrots, chopped
- 4 celery stalks, chopped
- 1 sweet potato, chopped
- 1 cup lentils of choice (I like to use red lentils!)
- 6 cups water or broth
- 1 tsp. sea salt
- black pepper to taste
- 3 lemons, juice & zest
- fresh cilantro for garnish
- Cook wild rice blend following package directions and set aside.
- In a large saucepan heat oil over medium.
- Once bubbling, add tomato paste and spices stirring to coat fully. Let them toast for 30 seconds until fragrant.
- Add onion and garlic, stir to combine and cover for 2 minutes, until onions are softened.
- Add carrot, celery, & sweet potato, stirring until coated with spice mix then cover and let simmer another 1-2 minutes.
- Add lentils, water, sea salt, and pepper. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to simmer until lentils are cooked through, about 25-30 minutes.
- Once lentils are softened, stir in wild rice, lemon juice & zest. Return to heat to simmer 2-3 minutes.
- Top with cilantro and enjoy!
Well that’s all for today friend! I hope you enjoy this warming, hearty fall soup. If you’re looking to help boost your immune system this season then make sure you download my FREE Fabulous Fermentation Guide right here! A healthy gut microbiome is one of your best defenses against the colds and flus that will be ravaging schools and workplaces soon.
Have a wonderful day!