Hi friend! I hope you’ve had a splendid week! I’ve been pretty busy organizing another Warrior Women’s Wellness Weekend with Jenn, marking all my students’ brilliant assignments at the Academy of Culinary Nutrition, and doing a presentation on Healing with Whole Foods at the Saskatoon Public Library. Now that the weather is getting colder, I think it’s time to start eating copious amounts of soup and so in keeping with that theme, this week’s recipe is a delicious vegan cream of mushroom soup.
Now to be perfectly honest, I don’t actually really like mushroom soup but it is one of my best friend’s favourites so I wanted to create a recipe she would enjoy and this one got an enthusiastic two thumbs up from her in between slurps.
Mushrooms are well-known for their immune modulating and supportive benefits, so using different types of mushrooms will ensure you get a broad range of health benefits. I like a mixture of crimini, shiitake, and portabello, but use your favourites to customize your perfect blend.
Vegan Creamy Dreamy Mushroom Soup
- 10 cups mushrooms of choice
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 onion
- 6 cloves of garlic
- 3 tsp. thyme
- 3 tsp. sage
- 3 tsp. coriander seed
- 3 celery stalks
- 2 tsp. sea salt
- 4 cups water
- 3 bay leaves
- 2 cups coconut milk
- 1 tbsp. arrowroot or tapioca starch
- 1 tsp. apple cider vinegar
- splash of maple syrup
- Heat a large saucepan over medium heat.
- While it’s heating slice your mushrooms. Don’t worry too much about the size or shape.
- After a few minutes rub a mushroom cap against the bottom of the pan. If it squeaks, add the mushrooms to sauce pan without oil and let them toast. They will begin to darken and start to release liquid.
- Once mushrooms begin to brown and soften add olive oil, onion, garlic, thyme, sage, and coriander seeds. Stir to combine.
- Add celery and cover. Let these veggies simmer and meld together for about 2 minutes.
- Add sea salt, water, and bay leaves to the party and stir.
- Turn heat to high and bring soup to a boil before turning down and allowing it to simmer for 15 to 20 minutes.
- Whisk tapioca starch together with about 2 tbsp. water and add to soup pot.
- Add coconut milk and give it a little zip with your immersion blender you can make it as smooth or chunky as you like!
- Return to the stove and add ACV and maple syrup and possibly more sea salt.
- Let it simmer for 5 minutes.
Well that’s my warm and cozy recipe for today friend. If you love my recipes and don’t want to miss out, make sure you sign up for my mailing list by clicking here! As a special thank you you’ll receive my Sensational Smoothies E-Book for FREE!
Thanks for stopping by