Hi friend! I hope you had a lovely and restorative weekend. I hosted my very first Saskatoon Fantastic Fermentation workshop and it was a huge success, if I do say so myself. 😉 After a busy day chopping and speaking I like to come home and curl up with a bowl of something warm and cozy, like a bowl of soup. So when I came home the first thing I did was search through my fridge and pantry to see what was to be had and low and behold there was the most GIGANTIC sweet potato that I had completely forgotten about. I have also been obsessed with smoked paprika lately and so today’s recipe was born.
Some of my favourite recipes have come about when I’ve looked around and just used whatever I’ve had on hand, like my Luscious Leek and Onion Soup for example. Cooking doesn’t always have to be super fancy and require a ton of fancy superfoods. Simplicity in cooking is often key in maintaining our healthy eating goals long term because I know you and I lead busy lives and not everyone finds their stress relief in chopping veggies like me.
This busyness is why I try to create a balance of fancy-pants recipes you can bust out to wow your friends and families at big events and super duper simple recipes that are perfect for whipping up after a long day. Just because our sweet potato soup is simple, doesn’t mean it’s not jam-packed full of nutrient goodness though!
The bright orange colour of our sweet potatoes indicates that they are a fabulous source of beta-carotene, which is a precursor to vitamin A. This vitamin is required to build beautiful skin cells and maintain a healthy immune system, which is key during seasonal transitions. The beta-carotene also acts as a fabulous antioxidant to help protect us from free radical damage, thus helping to maintain a health-promoting anti-inflammatory state in the body. Pretty sexy, right?
So, dear friend, I give you this delicious soup as a simple, nourishing, and delicious dish to keep you warm during the cold winter nights. Enjoy xo
Smokey Sweet Potato Soup
- 2 tbsp. olive, avocado, or coconut oil
- 3 tsp. smoked paprika
- 1 onion, diced
- 4 cloves of garlic, roughly chopped
- 1 cup chopped carrots
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 5 cups chopped sweet potato
- 4 cups water, veggie stock, or homemade bone broth
- ½ tsp. sea salt
- ¼ cup coconut milk
- splash of apple cider, balsamic or rice vinegar
- Heat a large soup pot over low-medium heat for about 3 minutes.
- Add olive oil, allow it to heat up 1 minute then add smoked paprika.
- Stir into oil until fragrant then add onions, stirring to coat. Cover pot.
- After 3 minutes or when onions turn soft and translucent add garlic, carrots, & celery to the party, stirring until coated. Cover and let steam a couple of minutes.
- Add sweet potato, cover, and let soften 2 minutes before adding your water or stock.
- Bring to a boil then reduce heat and simmer until carrots are fork tender, approximately 15 minutes.
- Remove from heat and puree with immersion blender.
- Stir in coconut milk and return to heat. The longer you let it simmer the yummier it will taste!!
Well my friend, that’s our yummy recipe for today. I hope you like it! And don’t forget to come and join my brand new Fully Nourished Nutrition Community. This group is designed to offer you a behind the scenes look of life as a nutritionist, offer you a place where you can feel supported by other people going through similar life journeys, pick my brains for health tips, and share inspiration on a daily basis. Click here to join us today!