Hi friend! I hope you’ve been having a stellar 2018 so far! I’ve been writing for a couple other websites lately and so I haven’t had a chance to update the old blog in a little while. However, the amazing Academy of Culinary Nutrition is putting out their annual fundraising cookbook this week, so I thought I would share one of the recipes contributed by a fellow grad, Thais Melissa van Delft!
Her recipe for Brazilian Moqueca (something I’ve never heard of!) looks absolutely delicious and full of rich flavours perfect for the cold winter months. I’ve contributed recipes every year since its inception and this initiative is truly one of my favourite ways to give back to my community in a meaningful way.
In case you’ve never heard of this amazing endeavour created by the fabulous Meghan Telpner, I’ll share a little bit of info:
- This is the 5th running of our From Scratch Fundraiser.
- All of the recipes and photography were done by amazingly talented graduates of the Academy of Culinary Nutrition.
- We have gathered together 40 original recipe creations to help raise money and awareness for the importance of from scratch, health supportive cooking in elevating the health of ourselves, each other and the planet.
- The cookbook is digital, allowing us to donate 100% of proceeds.
- From Scratch Cooking has had an incredible impact. Since the first edition was published, we have raised nearly $40,000 for charities around the world, including Organics 4 Orphans, Charity Water, Kiva, Pencils of Promise, The Red Cross and Community Food Centres Canada.
This year’s edition includes:
- 40 incredible gluten-free and dairy-free recipes
- Vegan and paleo options
- Culinary nutrition tips
- Instant download upon purchase
- Pay-what-you-can pricing
- 100% of proceeds go to Organics 4 Orphans
Brazilian Moqueca Recipe
GF DF NF V
Do you ever look at the veggies in the fridge and wonder how you can use them? Consider this vegan, Brazilian-inspired stew. It’s a light, delicious and full-of-flavor meal that will rock your lunch or dinner!
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
Number of Servings: 4
- ½ cup tomato sauce
- 2 cups coconut milk
- 1 cup puréed winter squash
- 2-3 Tbsp ginger, grated
- 2 tsp coconut oil, divided
- 1 onion, diced
- 100g white shimeji mushrooms, sliced
- 150g crimini mushrooms, sliced
- 2 tsp garam masala
- ½ tsp salt, to taste
- 1 cup broccoli florets
- 1 cup carrot, sliced thinly
- 1 cup red bell pepper, julienned
- 2 tomatoes, cut in bite-size pieces
- Juice from 1 lime
- 1 cup fresh parsley, roughly chopped
- Blend the tomato sauce, coconut milk, squash puree and ginger until smooth.
- In a large wok, heat 1 tsp coconut oil over medium heat. Sauté the onions for 2-3 minutes until onions are translucent.
- Raise the heat to medium-high and add the cremini mushrooms and the shimeji. Sauté stirring frequently for 7-8 minutes. They should become very soft and slightly golden colored.
- Add the mix from the blender to the wok and the garam masala and salt and mix well. Transfer to a bowl and reserve.
Recipe + Photo Credit: Thais Melissa van Delft