Hi friend! I hope you’ve had a splendid August! Sorry I’ve been a little MIA on the blogosphere lately. This month has been super hectic getting prepared for my Reset Yourself Nutrition Challenge that’s starting on September 8th (pop on over and sign up if you want to join the fun!) and the Warrior Women’s Wellness Weekend Retreat that I’m co-hosting with my friend Jenn Johannson on September 25th. However, now that I’m back in Saskatoon I’m excited to get writing again and to share some new recipes with you.
This recipe is one I developed for one of the private cooking classes I’ve been teaching here in Saskatoon. It’s kid-approved and super fun to make together in the kitchen. Now that the weather is starting to cool down and you’re settling back into your regular routine, it’s the perfect time to start experimenting with some fun flavours and combinations.
Adding pineapple to this curry is a great way to include an interesting new taste to a standard curry, while boosting nutrient and enzyme content. The spices, such as the turmeric in the curry powder, provide a nice punch of antioxidants while the onions, garlic, and cauliflower provide sulfur-based nutrients to support our liver detoxification. But in the end it just tastes delicious, and that’s what really matters!
Pineapple Shrimp Curry with Cauliflower Rice
- 1 tbsp. olive or coconut oil
- 2 tbsp. curry powder
- 1 tsp. ground coriander
- ½ tsp. ground cumin
- 1 onion, diced
- 3 cloves of garlic, chopped
- 2 carrots, cut into bite sized pieces
- 2 celery stalks, diced
- 1 red pepper, diced
- ¼ to ½ head cauliflower, cut into florets
- 1/3 cup crushed tomatoes
- 1 regular sized can crushed pineapple (or you can use 1.5 cups fresh chopped!)
- 1 cup water or broth
- 1 tsp. sea salt
- 3 cups peeled and deveined shrimp
- 6 stalks of cilantro, chopped
- 1 head cauliflower, riced*
- In a deep skillet heat olive oil and curry powder, coriander, and cumin over medium for approximately 1 minute or until fragrant.
- Add onion and stir to cover completely with oil and spice mixture.
- Cover deep skillet and chop the rest of your veggies.
- Once onions turn slightly translucent (about 3 to 5 minutes) add carrots, celery, and garlic, stir to combine and recover.
- While the veggies are simmering, chop up red pepper and cauliflower and add to skillet.
- Add pineapple, tomato, water, & sea salt and stir to combine.
- Allow to simmer approximately 20 minutes, until veggies are fork tender.
- Add shrimp and cook until opaque, approximately 5 minutes.
- To prepare the cauliflower rice you can either:
- Place it in a steamer for 3 minutes, stirring after a minute and a half, then remove and season with sea salt.
- Add 2 tsp. coconut oil to a skillet and saute for 3 to 5 minutes, until softened. Season with sea salt.
- Serve over cauliflower rice and top with cilantro.
*To rice cauliflower, break up into florets and pulse in a food processor until a small, rice-like texture is achieved.
Well that’s our recipe for today friend! Make sure you get out there and enjoy the last few days of summer 🙂 And don’t forget to sign up for my mailing list by clicking here. As a bonus you’ll receive a free Stop Self-Sabotage E-Book as a huge thank you from yours truly!
Have a wonderfully whimsical weekend!