Hi friend! I hope you’re having a wonderful day and starting to get excited about the holiday season to come. Last weekend I co-hosted another incredible Women’s Wellness Weekend where everyone learned about my 4 favourite stores: Costco, Superstore, Winners, and Canadian Tire. It became somewhat of a running joke over the weekend that whenever anyone asked where something came from it inevitably was one of those four places.
I’ve written in the past about how I eat healthy on a budget and how to create healthy pantry swaps, but my awesome ladies requested a more formal shopping list specifically for Costco. Since they are becoming one of the most amazing natural health retailers in North America I thought that was an excellent idea!
Eating a whole foods diet can be a little more pricey up front when you’re making the switch, so helping you transition smoothly and without financial stress is definitely my cup of organic peppermint tea. Let’s dig in!
Non-Perishable Pantry Items
Note: Some of these items may not be available at every Costco in North America, but you will likely be able to find some variation at your local branch.
Grains & Legumes
Tru-Roots Organic and Sprouted Products
- Sprouted Brown Rice
- Sprouted Lentils
- Sprouted Grain Blends
- Organic Short Grain Brown Rice
Bob’s Red Mill
- Steel Cut Oats: While these oats aren’t certified GF because they have been processed in a facility that processes gluten-containing grains, I have called the company up to ask about their cross-contamination precautions. After hearing about how they clean the equipment between items and other precautions they take I am confident enough to use these oats. However, sensitive celiac tummies will likely want to avoid them!
- Organic Red Lentil Penne
- Organic Black Bean Rotini
- Organic Black Bean Spaghetti
- Organic Edamame Spaghetti
- Organic Brown Rice & Millet Ramen Noodles
- Organic Tomato Paste
- Organic Tomato Sauce
- Organic Diced Tomatoes
Organic Pasta Sauce
Fats & Oils
- Terra Delyssa Organic Olie Oil
- Kirkland Organic Olive Oil
- Both are super delicious and from the research I’ve done are made from pure olive oil!
- Chosen Foods-certified non-GMO
- New Kirkland Organic Brand
- Carrington Farms Organic Coconut Oil
- Nutiva Organic Coconut Oil
- I’ve found the brand of coconut oil carried varies by location and province, though I have used and enjoyed them all!
- Nutiva Organic
- This is hit or miss, but worth keeping your eye out for!
- Kirkland Balsamic Vinegar
- Mother Earth Vinegar Organic & Unpasteurized Apple Cider Vinegar
- Organic Honey- the brand seems to vary
- Coconut Palm Sugar
- Organic Cane Sugar- this is perfect for all your fermentation needs!
- Pure Maple Syrup
Gluten-Free Flours & Breads
- Almond Flour- Sunblest Organic
- Coconut flour- Nutiva or Sunblest Organic are the ones I’ve seen
- Gluten-Free Flour Blend- Bob’s Red Mill or Cloud 9
- Essential Baking Company Super Seeded Multigrain Bread
Snacks, Crackers, & Nibbles
- Mary’s Gone Crackers- An awesome seed-based cracker for all your dipping needs.
- R.W. Garcia Sweet Potato 3 Seed Crackers- These are super addictive!
- R.W. Garcia Sweet Beet 3 Seed Crackers- Ditto!
- Luke’s Organic Superfood Chips- Again, so good!
- Food Should Taste Good Multi-Grain Chips- Perfect as a chip or a cracker!
- Prana Kilimanjaro Trail Mix
- Lara Bars
- Salt Spring Island Fair to Farmer
- Zavida Organica
- Ethical Bean
Nut & Seed Butters
- Superbutter- A nut-free blend of flax, sesame, and sunflower seeds, which makes it safe for sending to school!
- Kirkland Roasted Almond Butter
- Nuts For Nature Nut & Seed Butter – Cashews, almonds, chia seeds, Brazil nuts, sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds, & hazelnuts. This one is almost TOO good.
Nuts & Seeds
I can’t fully afford to buy all my nuts and seeds organic at the moment so I take advantage of the awesome bulk bags at Costco. I store a small jar in the fridge and keep the rest in the freezer. These are some of my faves!
- Kirkland Walnuts
- Kirkland Almonds
- Kirkland Pecans
- Kirkland Macadamias
- Kirkland Cashews
- Kirkland Pine Nuts- for super special, fancy occasions!
- Manitoba Harvest Hemp Hearts
- Nutiva Chia Seeds
Earthbound Farms Organic
- Field/Mixed Greens
- Baby Kale
- Power Green Blend
- Spring Mix
They tend to generally only have one kind of organic berry available at a time, which is great because it means you can switch up the nutrient power every time you shop!
Windset Farms Produce
This may not be available everywhere. I know they are not organic, but they do focus on sustainable growing methods, renewable energy practices, water conservation, are non-GMO, and they use natural predatory bugs to help control pests. All that sounds pretty damn good to me!
I rely on the Clean 15 and Dirty Dozen when shopping on a budget so will often purchase some of the least sprayed items at Costco which include:
- Sweet Potatoes
Moov Organic Products
- Mixed Berries
Organic by Nature
- Butternut Squash because sometimes you just don’t want to peel that mother f*#$%!
- Broccoli Florets
- Sweet Peas
- Vegetable Medley
- Green Beans
Fresh & Frozen Meat, Seafood, & Dairy
- Organic Whole Chickens
- Free-Run Eggs- They sell local eggs at the Saskatoon branch!
- Chevrai Goat Cheese Crumbles
- Grass-Fed Ground Beef
- Wild Pacific Salmon- occasionally
- Grass-Fed Beef Burgers
- Organic Chicken Breasts
- Wild Smoked Salmon
- Wild Salmon Filets
Miscellaneous Odds & Ends
- Fontaine Sante Caramelized Onion or Beet Hummus
- GT Kombucha 6 packs
- Brew Doctor Kombucha 6 packs for $15.99!!! This kombucha is a little less sweet and a little more boochy than some other brands.
Well friend, there you have it! My handy-dandy guide to all things Costco. This is by no means an exhaustive list and they are constantly bringing in new and exciting products, so take your time to explore the next time you’re there. I will continue updating this list after my shopping excursions and remember to keep in mind that items at specific locations may vary.
And since we’re coming up fast to the holidays, make sure you download my FREE Holistic Nutritionist’s Holiday Survival Guide by clicking here.
Happy shopping friend!